Supportive Community
Scared to Distraction 1208087586-950
The boards on this forum will only become visible once you are registered.

Please feel free to use our 'open boards' to post something as a guest or register to visit the other boards. Registration is free and easy.

Also, the forum will become advertisement free as soon as you are a member.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Supportive Community
Scared to Distraction 1208087586-950
The boards on this forum will only become visible once you are registered.

Please feel free to use our 'open boards' to post something as a guest or register to visit the other boards. Registration is free and easy.

Also, the forum will become advertisement free as soon as you are a member.
Supportive Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scared to Distraction

2 posters

Go down

Scared to Distraction Empty Scared to Distraction

Post  deesharon Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I have a forty-four year old son I do not even recognize by everything he has to say and only recently been in frequent contact with since he has been under the care of professionals who have him on anti-depressants for a length of time probably since sometime during the year following Christmas 2003. His animated conversations blaming everyone for any problem we have with him and no recognition of his own position and bazzare hypervigilant obsessive intellectual superiority and certainty that he is so people smart has left me astounded and scared. I have also just finished the book by Gwen Olson "The Confessions of a Prescription Drug Pusher". Her term "chemical labotomy" probably describes what I am watching. This man has not been gainfully employed since November 2003 when he resigned a position with a research lab regarding his relationship with a supervisor who was terminated six months after my son resilgned so his job loss predates the economic situation. What kind of responsibility or accountability do the PhD and MD involved with his medications have regarding his condition. The drugs have buried the son I knew and hope is reversible. Can anyone advise me on the horror? I have already been informed that his councilor is not free to communicate with me or receive any informaiton from me because I did email him once and will be blocked it I do it again.

Learning too late and too old to be so miserable.

deesharon

Back to top Go down

Scared to Distraction Empty Re: Scared to Distraction

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Oh god that sounds awful. Im realy sorry you and your son have to go through this.

I have read your post and there are a few questions that popped into my mind.

Is your son in a mental hospital? If yes, is it a closed ward? Do you know why your son is there?

What is he like when he is without medication? Was his life ok before medication and hospital?

From what I understand, if you son tells his counsellor that it is ok to communicate with you, the counsellor will communicate with you. Unless your son has told the counsellor not to. Then s/he will not talk to you due to confidentiality reasons.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  deesharon Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Anti-depressants are very common and fashionable. I have watched people go on them at a simple request. No he is not a patient in a hospital as others. I highly recommend Gwen Olsons book I mentioned. The pharmaceutical industry makes the business relationship between the PhD and MD leucrative.

Of course my son would not allow me to talk to his councelor because he is smarter than I am. I don't have the PhD. My son has two B.S. degrees so I'm not as smart as he is either.

I wonder if a councelor may respond or if it is too touchy for someone in the business to say anything disparaging about other professionals.

deesharon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Of course my son would not allow me to talk to his councelor because he is smarter than I am. I don't have the PhD. My son has two B.S. degrees so I'm not as smart as he is either.

I meant from a human and caring kind of point/ Not so much from an intellectual kind of point. For example, when I wasnt well, I allowed my counsellor to involve my husband. I allowed my counsellor to talk to my husband about me. This way my husband was able to know what was going on with[in] me; so he was then able to meet my needs better.

When you say your son didnt allow you to talk to his counsellor because you are not as smart as he is.. I dont understand what you mean. Do you mean that he might think [maybe you too] that youwill not understand the words they/professionals use?
You dont need to have a PhD in order to understand what is troubelling your son right now. You might not be able to understand the ins and out of certain mental illnesses but there is always the internet and much can be learned with the help of Google.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sky Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:24 pm

I am so sorry that you are having to watch this happening to your son. And of course, if he doesn't want your help you are rendered powerless - that is hard.

I wonder what clinical diagnosis your son has as it sounds like he is grandiose in many ways? This can often be a sign of mental illness. What happened to him that caused him to be put on medication in the first place? If you could understand his illness it might help you to understand what is happening to your son. what was the problem that led to him being treated with drugs in the first place?

I also wonder what it is you hope to achieve if you could talk to his counsellor? I think it is doubtful that you will be able to do this because the client/counsellor relationship is confidential, that's how it works. But i hear now shut out and angry you feel.

It sounds like the responsibility you are carrying is too much for you. If he doesn't want your help then there isn't much you can do now he is an adult - and that must be so difficult to deal with. I hope the pressure on you can be eased in some way soon. Look after YOU.

Kind regards

Sky
sky
sky
 Administrator

https://mutualsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deesharon Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:34 pm

That was scarcasm. No, I don't need a PhD to know he is a mess but helpless to do anything about it. His animated conversations blaming everyone for any problem we have with him and no recognition of his own responsibility in any situation along with bazzare hypervigilant obsessive intellectual superiority which is only arrogant and demanding and cold blooded. All of his mental brilliance is expressed at the top of his voice for neighbors to hear as well. If you know anyone on anti-depressants they give you a false sense of well-being which is similar to amphedimines thus the arrogance and delusions of grandeur leaving him in total denial of his obvious failure with no reason to expect anything to change for the better while he continues to believe it will. The false sense of well-being has him looking at the world through rose colored glasses and too far removed from reality to deal with reality. This arrogant superiority would never allow "mother" to talk to professionals or recognize that I could know anything. As Mark Twain so accurately stated, "If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."

I highly recommend Gwen Olsons book and when I finished it I recognized what an emergency all of her information is for all of us. The pharmaceutical industry is merged with the government and will not be exposed in the media.

The symtom for the anti-depressants was depression.

deesharon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:46 pm

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic when I said it... hmmm.... I am just trying to understand your situation better. I am sorry if it came across sarcastic. That was not my intension. I was genuinly interested in the Why and How etc. I genuinly didnt understand what you meant when you said 'Of course my son would not allow me to talk to his councelor because he is smarter than I am. I don't have the PhD. My son has two B.S. degrees so I'm not as smart as he is either.'

Im not sure whether it is Anti D's that cause such behaviour your son displays. I have never heard of this before but I might be wrong. The behaviour you discribe sounds like a serious mental illness. It could be a number of things.
Was he very different before 2003? What was he like back then?

It must be difficult not knowing what is happning to your son... I am glad the books you read are helping you some. Sounds like you can do with all the support you can get. Im glad you are reaching out here too
Scared to Distraction 603704
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Scared to Distraction Empty Scared to Distraction

Post  deesharon Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm

No, no. I was the one intentionally being sarcastic when I was referring to how much smarter he is than I am. That is his opinion of himself of course with his chimical labotomy. Yes, the anti-depressants do give the patient a false sense of well-being. That can be translated to an equally false sense of one's own superiority and in his case probably accerbates a cerebral narcissism. Failing is hard to take cold sober and very depressing. But drugs are passed out liberally when we all have our down times when we are better off with a competent and ethical therapist. There is more money to be had in a business relationship with an M.D. who prescribes pills. They keep you delusional and drugged. Gwen Olson is a whistle blower as a victim of such drugs as well as a past pharmaceutical rep who finally gave up a very leucrative career after watching the greed destroy lives. The information desolves all expectations of the magic pill and exposes everyone making out financially at the expensive of desparate people and even lives lost with altering brain chemistry.

deesharon

Back to top Go down

Post  sky Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 am

The narcissist is very hard to cure - even talking therapies will struggle with a narcissist. He will be incapable of empathy. It's hard to watch. It seems that your gaining information about his condition helps you to regain some power for yourself. I am sorry you are having to go through this.

I found this very helpful:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

xx [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sky
sky
 Administrator

https://mutualsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down